Sunday 14 April 2013

Review: Chloe Eau de Parfum (EDP) by Chloe

I really like the scent of Chloé Eau de Parfum. however my like turned to dislike after a few months. I still like the scent, but the sooner I finish this bottle, the better.

Why? Read on!

I was drawn into the hype of Chloé EDP just when it was released. I was wandering through David Jones & encountered eager Sales Reps holding the bottle & cards. I took a sprayed card & was intrigued by this bright rose fragrance.

The scent seemed to grow on me. During a shopping trip with a friend a few months later I took home a little bottle of Chloé.

Perfumers Description

I can't find their official description on their website. Chloé just raves about the bottle. Hmm.

Notes

Pink Peony, Freesia, Lychee, Magnolia Flower, Lily of the Valley, Rose, Cedarwood, Amber, Honey

Scent

Chloé EDP is a beautiful simple scent. Roses & peony. One thing I love about it is that it's a fragrance that's suitable for a number of occassions. Great for work, or a night out, it has an innocent yet sexy charm about it.

Whenever I wear or smell Chloé the image that comes to my mind is roses & cotton. Yes, cotton. Freshly laundered cotton bedsheets. Maybe Chloé is not so innocent after all!

It doesn't go through any development on my skin. What I get at first spray is what sticks with me. I'm happy with that. It's not cloying at all.

Chloé is definitely a crowd pleaser. People love it, and it's one perfume that even if people overspray (I knew a girl who put way too much on) it's still nice. I love smelling this on other people. Probably more than I like smelling it on myself.

Longevity & Sillage

Sillage is decent, quite good for a mainstream scent. Longevity is amazing for this scent. I know it's an EDP but I didn't expect that, simply because whenever I wear it it seems to fade after a while. I simply took it at face value, however I was so surprised one evening when I was about to go home a co-worker said I smell lovely & she asked what I was wearing. I couldn't believe she could still smell it!

Bottle

OK. Here it is. My dislike. The bottle is the reason why I don't like Chloé anymore.

Here's what Chloé says about the bottle;
"AN ICONIC BOTTLE

Just as the fragrance fuses classic elements with fresh ideas, and airy sweetness with woody strength, the flacon is a study in opposites.

Designer Patrick Veillet drew on the itricate detail of the sleeve of a Chloé blouse as the inspiration for the delicately pleated glass walls of the square flacon.

An oval cap plays off the strong lines while a silver collar adds a nostalgic feel. The metal plaque is a unique example of craftsmanship rarely seen in modern perfumeery, and graced with the finishing touch, a lously knotted petal-coloured ribbon."
Tarnished!

The bottle is a cute design, I will give them that. It reminds me of Miss Dior Cherie which also has a bow. The cuteness of the bottle faded fast just a few months after owning Chloé. Why? The metal on the bottle turned a tarnished matte black brown.

Not only that, this chemical change also turned the pretty pink bow into a dirty pink colour.

I couldn't believe this happened. It looks awful. If I had known the bottle would turn a green/brown/black there's no way I'd have bought it. Not happy Jan.

Chloé - after trying to clean the tarnished metal.
I wish I took a photo before as believe it or not,
this looks much better than it was.
I keep all my perfumes in a clean cupboard in the same conditions. I have NEVER come across anything like this with any other perfume bottles. Ever.

I probably should have taken it back and/or complained but I simply put it at the back of the cupboard (hiding it behind my other perfumes) & left it there.

One day I got the bottle out & decided to try & clean it up with a silver polishing cloth. The picture you see above is the result of that cleaning. It doesn't look as bad as it did but it's not back to the shiny silver it was originally. I wish I took a photo before I tried to clean it to show you what it looked like.

If the metal was completely silver (925) it should have come up sparkling - I use the same treated cloth to clean my silver jewellery - but it doesn't.

I know that this has not just happened to me, there are many complaints which you'll find if you do a Google search. It seems that the flankers in the same bottle also tarnish.

Imagine trying to swap or sell a bottle of tarnished Chloé. Imagine buying a used tarnished bottle? No one would be very impressed!

Poor manufacturing Chloé.

Conclusion


People put perfume on to add a bit of aromatic beauty to their day. Chloé IS beautiful, but who wants to put on a beautiful fragrance from an ugly looking bottle? The bottle is meant to be part of the experience. I won't be buying any more perfumes from this line.

If you're thinking of purchasing Chloé, I would say spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

•    Bottle: Not impressed at all. The metal tarnishes after a few months 0/10
•    Season: All (But perfect for Summer/Spring)
•    Cost: $90AU/30ml
•    Blind Buy Rating: N/A
•    Longevity: 7 hours
•    My overall rating: 1/10

31 comments:

  1. My bottle did the same thing, now I can't stand to touch it. I used a copper pot cleaner to clean it but it doesn't last. Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was horribly tarnished too. I used toothpaste and scrubbed the tarnished metal with a toothbrush. Less than a minute later, it was just as good as new. Try this guys. Takes less than a minute and Who doesn't have toothpaste and a spare toothbrush right? Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Mine was horribly tarnished too. I used toothpaste and scrubbed the tarnished metal with a toothbrush. Less than a minute later, it was just as good as new. Try this guys. Takes less than a minute and Who doesn't have toothpaste and a spare toothbrush right? Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. So you carry the bottle around with you and people complain about it? lol you are being WAY too picky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the tarnish is really grinding your gears that badly, take a silver polishing cloth to it (available at any jewelry store and most Stephen Dweck silver necklaces come with one). It'll take the discoloration off in about one minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did. Hence the complaint.

      Delete
  4. This is one for my tester list, but now that I know what happens to the bottle, I might pass it up...I was looking for a good rose fragrance similar to this. The bottle looks nasty yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this perfume - one of my all time favorites!! i've gone thru so many bottles - the same thing happens to my bottles of this - but i kind of think it adds character to the bottle - like an aged look... but i understand the perfume experience starts with the visual (hence so much money and research put into packaging).... it's my only perfume bottle that does this - so it makes it sort of even more unique, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was horribly tarnished too. I used toothpaste and scrubbed the tarnished metal with a toothbrush. Less than a minute later, it was just as good as new. Try this guys. Takes less than a minute and Who doesn't have toothpaste and a spare toothbrush right? Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  6. YES!! Thankyou for making this comment about the bottle. I kept mine in the fridge because Northern Australian summers are so very hot, and I just figured that the moisture in the fridge had somehow affected the metal, but none of my other perfume bottles changed at all. I also agree re the bow. If you could have somehow taken the bow off, it might have made a difference. It genuinely does make a psychological difference to using the perfume. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was horribly tarnished too. I used toothpaste and scrubbed the tarnished metal with a toothbrush. Less than a minute later, it was just as good as new. Try this guys. Takes less than a minute and Who doesn't have toothpaste and a spare toothbrush right? Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Mine was horribly tarnished too. I used toothpaste and scrubbed the tarnished metal with a toothbrush. Less than a minute later, it was just as good as new. Try this guys. Takes less than a minute and Who doesn't have toothpaste and a spare toothbrush right? Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  7. If you like the scent so much--but are put off my tarnishing--maybe purchase a rollerball? Same perfume but no corroded bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a note in the box that states "the colour of the bottle collar may vary slightly over time." I found it odd they would even include that bit of info but hearing the complaints on this thread I guess it is a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was horribly tarnished too. I used toothpaste and scrubbed the tarnished metal with a toothbrush. Less than a minute later, it was just as good as new. Try this guys. Takes less than a minute and Who doesn't have toothpaste and a spare toothbrush right? Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Mine was horribly tarnished too. I used toothpaste and scrubbed the tarnished metal with a toothbrush. Less than a minute later, it was just as good as new. Try this guys. Takes less than a minute and Who doesn't have toothpaste and a spare toothbrush right? Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  9. Oh and also says made with genuine silver plating

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine was horribly tarnished too. I used toothpaste and scrubbed the tarnished metal with a toothbrush. Less than a minute later, it was just as good as new. Try this guys. Takes less than a minute and Who doesn't have toothpaste and a spare toothbrush right? Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I purchased my Chloe See from Chemist Warehouse just prior to Xmas 2015. A gift I wanted to give to myself! Got around to opening a couple of weeks back and once out of the box the first thing I notice is the ring on the bit (lid) you can gently pull off, is TARNISHED. NOT impressed. Okay, spray...scent...lovely, however, scent disappeared quick time. At the time of buying, I also purchased "My Burberry" and same result with the scent. Beautiful fragrance disappeared shortly. And at the time of purchase I dared to ask the salesperson, can these prices be real!? She got miffed (like she'd been asked that a million times) and said they buy in bulk, hence the discounts - daaaah... Sitting in big old hot warehouse somewhere or under heat and lights in store can't help surely?? Next I think I will lodge a legit complaint...because I'm really disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Searching for new scent can overwhelm with most of the smells available. Not simply are there unlimited smells open, there are similarly interesting aroma obsessions. Blossoms, a fundamental part of any aroma; particularly looking like fragrant sprouts, frequently rich in nuance. Here are conceivable outcomes for the best perfume for men, best smells for women, cologne, versace fragrance, aromas, hugo supervisor aroma and ladies fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, that’s really a good post on pets for sale in Delhi, i really like your blog as the information is very useful if you are a pet lover. Well, there is one more site for the same service www.helpadya.com you should check it for more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. they're nowhere near bold enough to convince this Amouage admirer that the decision to avoid incense and oud was a wise one.Perfumes for Women Online in India

    ReplyDelete
  15. This stuff smells so good and I love it so much I wouldn't care if it came in a bottle made of dried cow poo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been reading your blog from last two months. The way of content flow seems to be awesome.
    I would personally suggest our blog readers to subscribe to get those posts regularly.
    Especially post on Chloe Eau de Parfum (EDP) by Chloe is fabulous. Get in touch with us via our websites
    Shop perfumes for male online |
    Shop perfumes for females online

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its one of the only perfume bottles made out of rea silver...high quality...just give it a polish!

    ReplyDelete

  18. Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful information specially the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this certain info for a long time. Thank you
    Ahsan Fragrances for men and women

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been buying Chloe Parfums for at least 10 years the bottle has always stayed as if it was brand new. Never a tarnish , I actually hate throwing the empty ones ones out . No problems with any of the bottles purchased from David Jones Australia. Perfect always .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the Great Post!!!
    Do you want the best smelling house in the neighbourhood? Check out our 'to die for' fragrances now!

    https://maskco.com/

    ReplyDelete

  21. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!Ahsan Rose Perfume
    in India

    ReplyDelete
  22. Μπορεί να συμβαίνει όντως αυτό που λέτε με το μπουκάλι αλλά νομίζω ότι μπροστά σε αυτό που δίνει το συγκεκριμένο άρωμα όταν το φοράς πραγματικά δεν είναι ο πιο σοβαρός λόγος για να μην το αποκτήσει κανείς.Ειναι το δεύτερο αγαπημενο μου για πρωί πάντα.Προσωπικα το ωραιότερο μπουκάλι σε άρωμα το έχω δει στο crystal noir που είναι το αγαπημένο μου..Δεν φθείρεται δεν παθαίνει τίποτα και είναι η επιτομή της πολυτέλειας.Εν ολίγοις το σημαντικότερο σε ένα άρωμα είναι το να σου ταιριάζει απόλυτα και να αισθάνεσαι όμορφα όταν το φοράς,η συσκευασία είναι κάτι που κοιτάς μεν αλλά είναι λιγότερο σημαντικό.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete